Liverpool may be ending the season with a flourish and could still qualify for Europe but what has gone before has been unacceptable, according to right back Trent Alexander Arnold.
The Anfield club moved up to sixth place on Wednesday after coming from a goal down to beat West Ham United 2-1 away, its third successive Premier League victory.
It remains six points Newcastle United and Manchester United in third and fourth places and with games running out it seems unlikely Liverpool will make the Champions League.
While a Europa League berth would be some consolation, Alexander Arnold said Liverpool must improve next season.
“Some tweaks (need to be made) -- it has to be just a blip,” Alexander Arnold told the BBC. “We can’t have a season again like this, this isn’t acceptable.
“It needs to be a freak season and then next season be back in title races -- that’s our aim.”
Liverpool has begun to look a little more like the side that won the title in 2020 and has gone toe-to-toe with reigning champion Manchester City in some epic title races.
Alexander Arnold pointed out that some tactical changes had allowed Liverpool to hit its stride again.
“We’ve gone to a bit of a back three so everyone’s roles have changed,” he said. “Players further forward have to fill in the spaces but it gives us an extra player going forward in the attacking line to sustain pressure and keep pressure on teams, which is what we’ve been lacking this season.
“You have good times you have bad times, you have to roll with the punches. We’re enjoying it now, winning games, and we’re getting some momentum.”
Liverpool hosts seventh-placed Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday.
- IND vs AUS live score 3rd ODI: Rohit, Kohli, Kuldeep return as India looks to cleansweep Australia; toss at 1 PM
- Table Tennis LIVE Score, Asian Games 2023: India Men’s Doubles Round of 64, Mixed Doubles R-32 updates; Live action at 1:30pm IST
- Asian Games 2023: Esha Singh bags silver in 25m pistol women’s final, Manu Bhaker finishes fifth
- Shooting LIVE SCORE Asian Games 2023: Sift wins gold with WR, Ashi bronze in 50m rifle 3P; Esha wins 25m women’s pistol silver; India wins 25m women’s pistol team gold- Hangzhou 2022 updates
- Asian Games 2023, September 27 Live Updates from Hangzhou 2022: Esha Singh bags silver in 25m pistol, Sift Kaur Samra wins 50m rifle 3p gold with new world record; India beats Singapore 13-0 in hockey, tennis results