A Premier League footballer has been arrested in London on suspicion of rape, Telegraph reported on Monday.
The player, who was not named for legal reasons, is due to play for his country at the upcoming Qatar World Cup 2022 and was arrested in Barnet on Monday.
The unnamed player is currently in custody and is questioned over an alleged attack. Scotland Yard confirmed in a statement that the player was taken into custody in the early hours of Monday.
“On 4 July, an allegation of rape of a woman in her 20s was reported to police,” the Met Police said in a statement. “It was reported the alleged rape happened in June 2022.”
“Enquiries into the circumstances are ongoing,” officers added.
The Premier League season starts on August 5. The player's club was contacted by The Telegraph, but it refused to comment.
- Maxwell’s ‘Big Show’ trumps Gaikwad’s maiden century as Australia pips India in run-fest to keep series alive
- IND vs AUS: Why did Ishan Kishan’s stumping attempt off Axar Patel’s bowling result in a no-ball? Rules explained
- Indian sports news wrap, November 28
- I-League 2023-24 Top Scorers: Here are the leading goalscorers after matchday seven
- Glenn Maxwell hits joint-fastest T20I century by an Australian