Croatia midfielder Mateo Kovacic’s double secured a 2-0 win away to Turkey in the Euro 2024 qualifier on Tuesday as it leapfrogged the hosts and moved up to second spot in Group D.
Wales, who beat Latvia 1-0, lead the group on four points on goal difference from Croatia with Turkey third with three.
Kovacic left Turkey goalkeeper Mert Gunok motionless when he scored from close range in the 20th minute following a failed attempt by the defence to clear the ball.
Kovacic scored again just before halftime as he tapped home a rebound after Gunok saved Mario Pasalic’s effort.
Despite creating better chances early on, Turkey was kept out by Dominik Livakovic who made some exceptional saves.
In another blow for the hosts, Turkey captain Hakan Calhanoglu had to come off in the 36th minute due to an injury.
Turkey, who reached the Euro 2008 semifinals, are looking to qualify again after a disappointing performance at Euro 2020 when it lost all three games and scored one goal.
Latest on Sportstar
- Heat vs Nuggets Live Score, Game 2: Miami looks to bounce back; Starting Lineups, NBA Finals updates
- Denver Nuggets vs Miami Heat LIVE Streaming Info: When and where to watch the NBA Finals Game 2?
- Sabalenka makes French Open last eight for first time
- Tsitsipas blasts past Ofner to make French Open quarter-finals
- Duplantis sets new 2023 pole vault best