A last-minute header from Isaac Kiese Thelin squeezed Anderlecht into the Europa League last 16 on away goals on Thursday where the Belgian side was joined by Ajax and Roma.
Anderlecht's hopes of progressing against Zenit St Petersburg appeared over after the Russians overturned a 2-0 first leg deficit to lead 3-2 with seconds remaining.
But Kiese Thelin's decisive intervention earned Anderlecht an unlikely ticket to the last 16 to keep alive its dream of a first continental honour since its 1983 UEFA Cup triumph.
It was the 24-year-old Swedish international's first goal for the club he joined last month on loan from French Ligue 1 outfit Bordeaux.
Ajax had lifted the UEFA Cup the season before Anderlecht and the Dutch giants made it into the next round courtesy of defender Nick Viergever's close-range finish in the 49th minute against Legia Warsaw.
The only goal over the two legs put Ajax through by the slimmest of margins.
Also progressing were Roma, 4-1 on aggregate despite Villarreal taking the second leg 1-0, Besiktas, APOEL and Olympiakos.
On Wednesday Manchester United cruised into the last 16 with a 1-0 win at Saint Etienne for a 4-0 aggregate success.
Also surviving to live another day in Europe's second tier competition on Wednesday were Schalke and Russian outfit Krasnodar, who saw off Fenerbahce.
- Al Shabab vs Al Nassr highlights, SHB 2-3 NAS, Saudi Pro League: Talisca brace, Ronaldo strike guide Nassr to win and keep title race alive
- Saudi Pro League: Ronaldo scores milestone goal as Al Nassr edges Al Shabab to keep title race alive
- WPL 2024: Gujarat Giants stumbles to five-wicket loss against Mumbai Indians in low-scoring encounter
- Serie A 2023-24: Late Rugani goal gives Juventus 3-2 win over Frosinone
- Carabao Cup final, CHE vs LIV: Van Dijk nets extra-time winner as Liverpool beats Chelsea