Valencia can already start looking forward to the last 16 after destroying Rapid Vienna 6-0 at the Mestalla to give under-fire coach Gary Neville a major boost.
Valencia was five goals to the good at the break with Santi Mina scoring two and Dani Parejo, Alvaro Negredo and Andre Gomes also on target. Substitute Rodrigo wrapped up the win late on. > Read: Neville plays down big win
Holders Sevilla have one foot in the last 16 after beating Molde of Norway 3-0 at the Sanchez Pizjuan with Fernando Llorente netting twice before Kevin Gameiro wrapped up the win.
Fellow Spaniards Villarreal beat Serie A visitors Napoli 1-0 via a late goal from Denis Suarez, and Athletic Bilbao completed a fine night for clubs from La Liga as they won 1-0 at Marseille thanks to a stunning volley by Aritz Aduriz, the veteran striker scoring his 26th goal of the season.
Schalke drew 0-0 with Shakhtar Donetsk in Ukraine while Bayer Leverkusen won 1-0 at Sporting Lisbon with Karim Bellarabi getting the only goal.
Anderlecht beat Olympiakos 1-0 as Serigne Mbodji got the only goal of the game in Brussels, while a late strike by Jean-Christophe Bahebeck, on loan from Paris Saint-Germain, gave Saint-Etienne a 3-2 win at home to Swiss champions Basel.
Lazio came from behind to draw 1-1 with Galatasaray in Istanbul thanks to a Sergej Milinkovic-Savic strike, while Sparta Prague edged the Russians Krasnodar 1-0 and 2011 runners-up Braga beat Sion 2-1 in Switzerland.
- Alcaraz says ‘beautiful battle’ with Djokovic drives him on
- Asian Games 2023 LIVE, September 27 Updates: Anant wins silver in men’s skeet; Esha bags silver in 25m pistol; Nikhat Zareen in action soon; India 6th with 22 medals
- IND vs AUS live score 3rd ODI: Labuschagne gets fifty as Australia aims for 350-plus score
- Jehan Daruvala to make professional debut next year in Formula E with Maserati MSG Racing
- SA20 hopes to become biggest T20 league outside IPL, says commissioner Graeme Smith