Argentina overcame a late Australia surge to win 2-1 and progress to the quarterfinals of the FIFA World Cup at the Al Rayyan Stadium on Sunday.
The two-time champion began the game slowly before taking the lead through a trademark Lionel Messi goal.
Aussie keeper Matt Ryan gifted Argentina the second goal after a mistake at the back, which was capitalised by Julian Alvarez.
Australia struck back through a Craig Goodwin strike took a wicked deflection to creep past Emiliano Martinez.
The South American giant will now face Netherlands in the quarterfinal on December 9.
MORE TO FOLLOW
Latest on Sportstar
- Vettori impressed by England record rather than ‘Bazball’ style
- Messi to leave PSG at the end of season, confirms Galtier
- Karim Benzema set to leave Real Madrid: Reports
- Khelo India University Games: Former U20 South Asian champion Poonam clinches maiden gold
- Doping: India is number two in WADA report on anti-doping violations; Russia tops again