Morocco coach Walid Regragui announced a 26-member squad, including five players from top clubs in Europe for the FIFA World Cup 2022.
These players include Chelsea forward Hakim Ziyech, Paris Saint-Germain right-back Achraf Hakimi, Bayern Munich’s Nosair Mazraoui, Sevilla custodian Yassine Bounou and France-born Marseille striker Amin Harit. Except for Mazraoui, the remaining five played the 2018 Russia World Cup.
Morocco qualified for the 2022 FIFA World Cup, beating Congo DR 5-2 in the third round of CAF World Cup qualifiers. This is the sixth time Morocco qualified for the World Cup, but it has never won the World Cup.
Making it to the FIFA World Cup for consecutive editions for the second time ever, it hopes to make it to the Round of 16 for the first time after 1996.
“We worked hard on this list with the staff, it’s the best possible line-up to defend our colours,” Regragui told journalists in Rabat.
Morocco is in Group F and will face off with 2018 runner-up Croatia, Belgium and Canada.
- Watch: Kuldeep Yadav - India’s spin wizard in prime form ahead of the 2023 ODI World Cup
- Asia Cup 2023: Gill ton in vain as Bangladesh beats India by 6 runs
- ENG vs NZ: Scorecard, match streaming updates; New Zealand needs 312 to win
- SA vs AUS, 4th ODI Scorecard, commentary and streaming updates
- Asia Cup 2023 most runs, wickets stats: Shubman Gill tops run-scorers list, Pathirana leading wicket-taker