Cody Gakpo scored again at the World Cup, but the Netherlands missed the chance to secure a place in the last 16 on Friday as it was held to a 1-1 draw by a battling Ecuador, a result which eliminated host nation Qatar.
Gakpo, the gangly PSV Eindhoven forward who has been strongly linked with a move to Manchester United, put the Netherlands in front with a superb strike in the sixth minute at the Khalifa International Stadium. But the joy was shortlived.
Group A standings:
- Violent protests break out during Bulgaria-Hungary Euro qualifier, dozens injured
- Australia’s ‘happy association’ with knockouts continues but South Africa shows resilience in latest World Cup semis saga
- Creative Lee delights South Korea coach Klinsmann
- Formula One helps Vegas expand efforts to become a sporting destination
- How Afghanistan’s rapid ascent in 2023 ODI World Cup came to be: A behind-the-scenes look