Late goals by Ritsu Doan and Takuma Asano gave Japan an incredible 2-1 comeback victory over Germany in the World Cup on Wednesday after the four-times champion had looked to be cruising to victory via an Ilkay Gundogan penalty but paid a fatal price for missing chances.
In the other match in Group E, Spain built its triumph on an incessant passing game that left the rival chasing shadows, and its record 7-0 demolition of Costa Rica suggests it is back to its best, with added scoring menace to boot.
Here’s how things stand in Group E at the moment.
Group E standings:
- Bundesliga: Austria midfielder Sabitzer swaps Bayern for Dortmund
- Ashes 2023, 5th Test: England, trailing 1-2, names unchanged 14-member squad for The Oval
- Brazil forward Ary Borges scores first hat-trick of FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023
- We did not run away from trials: Vinesh, Bajrang issue clarification
- After the outburst, sanction on the cards for Harmanpreet