Netherlands striker Memphis Depay scored the opening goal of the FIFA World Cup round of 16 match against the United States of America to become the second highest goal scorer of all time for his country.
The Barcelona striker made a run into the USA penalty box and met Denzel Dumfries cross with a shot on target, giving the Dutchmen an early lead in the 10th minute.
Depay’s goal ended a sequence of 20 uninterrupted passes, the most on record for a Netherlands goal at the World Cup (1966 onwards).
With the goal, Depay’s goal tally rose to 43 as he surpasses Klaas-Jan Huntelaar’s tally, with whom he was joint-second highest for the Oranje so far. He is just seven goals behind Robin Van Persie, who is currently the leading goal scorer for the Dutch.
Memphis Depay has now scored 15 goals in 17 caps since Louis van Gaal took charge of the Netherlands in August 2021.
More to follow.
RELATED WORLD CUP STORIES
- ⦿Check out Sportstar’s coverage of World Cup in Qatar
- ⦿Scan the World Cup in pictures
- ⦿Football fans, put your skills to the test with FIFA World Cup Quiz
- ⦿Soak in the rich history of the football World Cup
- ⦿WATCH: What’s happening in Qatar and who is saying what
- ⦿Here are some of the most frequently asked questions