Argentina skipper Lionel Messi equalled the World Cup goal-tally of Pele of 12 goals after scoring against France in the final at the Lusail Stadium on Saturday.
Messi scored his sixth goal of the current World Cup campaign in Qatar after converting from the spot after Argentina got a penalty when Angel Di Maria was tripped inside the box by Ousmane Dembele in the 23rd minute.
He scored his first goal in Argentina’s opening World Cup match against Saudi Arabia. His second goal came against Mexico. Messi bagged his third goal against Australia in the Round of 16 match.
His fourth and fifth goals came from the spot against the Netherlands and Croatia in the quarterfinal and semifinal, respectively.
- Belgium Euro 2024 qualifier vs Sweden suspended after two Swedes shot dead in Brussels - UEFA
- Euro 2024 qualifiers: Ronaldo hits two as Portugal thumps Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Portugal 5-0 Bosnia and Herzegovina highlights; Euro 2024 Qualifiers: Ronaldo, Bruno, Cancelo, Felix get on scoresheet for comfortable win
- All aboard the Shami Express: From Moradabad to Team India via Kolkata
- Adam Zampa not at physical best, says it was the ‘adrenaline’ which was getting him through in AUS vs SL