Sadio Mane has been named in Senegal’s squad for the World Cup in Qatar despite injury concerns after he was hurt playing for his German club at the weekend.
The 30-year-old striker, whose decisive penalty kicks won both the Africa Cup of Nations and World Cup qualification for his country this year, suffered an injury to his right fibula in Bayern’s 6-1 win against Werder Bremen and misses this weekend’s clash against Schalke.
But coach Aliou Cisse included the team’s talisman when he named his 26-man squad at a news conference in Dakar on Friday, saying he was confident Mane could recover in time to play at the tournament.
He said Senegal had sent the Senegalese federation’s doctor to examine Mane on Thursday and had been told he would not require surgery.
“That’s very good news and we now have the chance to try and get him fit for the tournament. We now have two weeks to observe and see how the injury reacts to treatment,” Cisse said.
“I prefer to keep him in the squad because he is such an important part of us.”
The coach used the example of Watford attacker Ismaila Sarr, who had been injured going into January’s Africa Cup of Nations finals, but was included in the squad and recovered after the first round to contribute to Senegal’s success in the tournament.
“We will do all in our power to ensure we can recover Mane in time to play,” Cisse added.
Senegal squad for FIFA World Cup 2022
- India goes down 3-4 against Germany in in Women’s Junior World Cup
- Vijay Hazare Trophy 2023 LIVE Score, Round 5: Mumbai three down vs Saurashtra; Punjab 251 all out vs TN
- LeBron’s son Bronny James set to return after cardiac arrest
- LeBron James’ business manager said he bet on NBA games through illegal bookie - report
- Pro Kabaddi League 2023: Know the coaches of all 12 teams