Ahead of the final group stages matches of the FIFA World Cup in Qatar, all four teams – England, Iran, USA and Wales -- in Group B are in contention to make the knockout stages.
England has nearly secured its round of 16 berth after a 6-2 win against Iran and a goalless draw against the USA in its first two matches. A win will assure England a top spot in the group. With four points and a goal difference of +4, the Three Lions can afford a defeat and only a heavy thrashing at the hands of Wales could put its place in jeopardy.
Group B round three matches (Timings in IST)
Iran is at the cusp of a maiden Round of 16 qualifications if its beats USA on Tuesday. A draw will also be enough, if Wales do not beat England.
Iran’s 2-0 win over Wales, despite its 2-6 defeat on opening day, has put it back in control of its destiny.
USA has its destiny in its own hands when it takes on Iran but only a win against Iran will earn it a first Round of 16 berth since 2014.
It will be the seventh time USMNT will appear in the round of 16 of the World Cup.
Wales needs to beat England by a one-goal difference or more and hope that Iran and USA play out a draw against each other.
In that instance, both England, Wales and Iran will have the same number of points (4), but England and Wales will go through due to a superior goal difference.
If Wales qualifies, it will be its second knockout appearance in a World Cup since 1958 -- its debut tournament.
Group B standings:
- England vs Netherlands Live Score, World Cup 2023: ENG 132/1 (20); Malan, Root drive England vs Netherlands
- Carlos Alcaraz to debut for Europe at Laver Cup Berlin 2024
- Asian Archery C’Ships: India’s recurve women, compound men’s team win bronze; Jyothi, Parneet ensure all-Indian women’s compound final
- Allan Donald on Angelo Mathews’ Timed out decision: ‘I was dead quiet, don’t want to see things like that’
- Shaji Prabhakaran: AIFF’s decision to terminate me comes as a shock