Firefighters have battled a major fire at Flamengo's training centre.
Local reports in Brazil indicate 10 people are feared dead and others are seriously injured at the Urubu's Nest, which also provides accomodation for some of the club's young players.
The fire broke out in the early hours of Friday morning, with fire department chief Douglas Henaut confirming it happened at the lodgings.
READ: Body recovered from wreckage identified as Emiliano Sala, police confirms
"The identification of the victims will be made later by the Civil Police," Henaut told TV Globo .
Former Flamengo forward Vinicius Junior, now at Real Madrid, posted about the incident on social media.
"What sad news! Pray for everyone!," Vinicius wrote on Twitter .
The Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) also offered a message of support.
"Our solidarity and prayers for the families affected," the CBF wrote on Twitter.
Latest on Sportstar
- Djokovic reaches French Open semifinals, awaits winner of Alcaraz vs Tsitsipas
- French Open 2023 Live Updates: Alcaraz vs Tsitsipas in Roland-Garros quarterfinals, winner faces Djokovic
- Red Bull’s Max Verstappen surges ahead in F1 standings
- Miyu Kato loses women’s doubles money for accidentally hitting ball kid
- Maharashtra Premier League Auction 2023: Nauman Shaikh most expensive player at Rs 6 lakh