FC Bengaluru United and debutants Madan Maharaj FC shared the spoils after engaging in a six-goal thriller in the I-League Qualifiers on Friday.
Sanju Pradhan (68th minute), Arun Kumar (80th) and Jaison Vaz (90+5th) scored for FC Bengaluru United, while Madan Maharaj FC found the goals through (Shubham Bhowmick (12th, 52nd) and Jiten Murmu (90+4th) at the Bangalore Football Stadium.
Madan Maharaj took a 2-0 lead through a brace from striker Bhowmick, before being pegged back to 2-2 by goals from Pradhan and Kumar. Both the sides shared one goal each in added time of the second half to finish the match with one point each.
ALSO READ |
Bengaluru began the encounter by making it clear that it would try to gain the upper hand by having more possession and counter pressing high up the field immediately in case of losing the ball.
As FCBU played with high intensity in the opening exchanges, it remained to be seen if the home side could sustain playing with such high energy over the course of the full 90 minutes.
On the other hand, Madan Maharaj FC from Madhya Pradesh grew into the game gradually. This approach reaped an early reward for MMFC, who broke the deadlock in the 12th minute through Bhowmick after veteran midfielder Mehtab Hossain played a long, searching ball.
The result leaves Madan Maharaj FC with a draw from their first match, while FC Bengaluru United remains on two points from two matches after drawing both its games in Group A so far.
- IND A vs ENG A Women, 3rd T20: Issy Wong shines again as England beats India by two wickets to win series 2-1
- WI vs ENG: Sam Curran sets unwanted record for most runs conceded by England bowler in ODI history
- WI vs ENG, 1st ODI: West Indies completes its second highest successful run-chase, beats England by four wickets
- I-League 2023-24 Top Scorers: Here are the leading goalscorers after matchday seven
- EURO 2024 playoffs: Which are the teams involved, when will the matches be played?