Lionel Messi insisted Barcelona was never throwing away the Copa del Rey after a comeback win over Sevilla on Wednesday.
The LaLiga leaders crushed Sevilla 6-1 at Camp Nou to claim a 6-3 aggregate win in the quarterfinals, with Philippe Coutinho scoring a brace to go with goals from Ivan Rakitic, Sergi Roberto, Luis Suarez and Messi.
Messi, 31, played down any suggestions Barca were ever going to simply give up the Copa to focus on LaLiga and the Champions League.
"It was said that we threw the cup or that we didn't want it, or maybe my message was misinterpreted at the beginning of the season," he said.
"The team want to fight for the three competitions, as it is always Barcelona's obligation every year. We do not throw anything."
Coutinho started Barca's comeback with a 13th-minute penalty, which Messi let the Brazilian – whose form has been questioned – take.
Messi explained his decision to allow the 26-year-old, who completed his brace in the second half, to take the spot-kick.
"I wanted him to kick it and we fixed it, because the important thing was to win," he said.
"He scored and I'm happy because that's where everything started."
- Table Tennis LIVE Score, Asian Games 2023: Manav, Manush qualify for doubles R-32; Sathiyan, Manika in Mixed Doubles R-32 action now
- IND vs AUS live score 3rd ODI: Australia 237/2; Smith, Labuschagne at crease after Kuldeep removes Marsh
- Asian Games 2023: Overall medals tally, September 27 - LIVE - Sift Kaur wins gold with WR in shooting; India 6th with 5 gold, 22 medals in total
- Ukraine to boycott all UEFA competitions featuring Russian teams
- Asian Games 2023 LIVE, September 27 Updates: Anant wins silver in men’s skeet; Esha bags silver in 25m pistol; Sumit, Ankita bow out in tennis; India 5th with 22 medals