Pepe equalised with two minutes remaining as Gremio drew 1-1 at home to Flamengo in the opening leg of its Copa Libertadores semifinal tie.
Gremio avoided defeat in Porto Alegre, where the host snatched a draw thanks to substitute Pepe's 88th-minute equaliser on Wednesday.
Flamengo was superior for large spells in the all-Brazilian affair at Arena do Gremio – Jorge Jesus' visitor seeing three goals ruled out by VAR.
Bruno Henrique did give Flamengo the lead in the 69th minute after rising highest to head past Gremio goalkeeper Paulo Victor at his near post.
However, Pepe came off the bench to rescue Gremio during the closing stages midweek.
Everton fizzed a powerful effort across the six-yard box and team-mate Pepe was on hand to score with his thigh.
Flamengo will host the return leg in Rio de Janeiro on October 23.
- Video: MotoGP riders dance to Naatu Naatu at the Buddh International Circuit in New Delhi
- Ind vs Aus, 1st ODI: India beats Australia to dethrone Pakistan as the No. 1 ODI team
- IND vs AUS: Shami fifer, all-round batting effort help India beat Australia by five wickets in first ODI
- Premier League: Klopp expecting solid West Ham to be tricky opponents
- Redfern set to become first female umpire in men’s first-class game