Chennai City FC strengthened its chances of winning the I-League title by defeating Mohun Bagan 3-1 at the Nehru Stadium here on Sunday.
Chennai City created chances for a couple of goals to early to set the tone for the rest of the contest. They missed two easy chances within the first five minutes; Nestor Gorillo and Edwin Sydney Vanspaul failed to find the back of the net.
Nestor, however, didn’t have to wait long for his goal. He stunned the packed holiday crowd with a thundering effort in the seventh minute. Mohun Bagan custodian Shilton Paul had no answer to the powerful strike that came from close to the half-line. For it was, without doubt, the goal of the season.
Nestor continued to make his presence felt. He set up two great passes for two more goals — one for Sandro Rodrigues, in the 15th minute, and the other to Pedro Manzi in the 23rd minute.
Chennai City preferred not to relax and played the second half in a similar fashion. Their short passes were especially pleasing to the eyes. Mohun Bagan showed better understanding upfront and at the back, but struggled to disturb the strong Chennai City defence. To add to its woes, its goalkeeper Shilton was given the red card for bringing Manzi down right outside the box.
With only 10 men left in the middle and the clock ticking fast, the contest was as good as over for the Kolkata giant.
- Chennai City FC 3 (Nestor Gordillo 7, Sandro Rodrigues 15, Pedro Manzi 23) bt Mohun Bagan 1 (William Lalnunfela 37).
- Hard-serving Ivo Karlovic officially announces his retirement from tennis
- World team table tennis c’ships: India men edge out Kazakhstan to enter Round of 16
- Former India cricketer Lalchand Rajput appointed UAE head coach
- Take Bairstow out of firing line: Cook urges England to bench the out-of-form batter
- Royal Challengers Bangalore WPL 2024 team analysis: Squad depth, players to watch out, fixtures