I'll be at Nantes next year - Ranieri plays down Italy talk

Nantes head coach Claudio Ranieri says he will honour his contract at the Ligue 1 club amid speculation regarding the Italy job.

Nantes coach Claudio Ranieri   -  Getty Images

Claudio Ranieri insists he will still be the Nantes head coach next season, despite speculation linking him with the vacant Italy job.

Former Leicester City boss Ranieri is reportedly among the candidates for the Azzurri, who sacked Gian Piero Ventura after they failed to reach the World Cup, with interest in Antonio Conte, Carlo Ancelotti and Roberto Mancini also mooted.

And the Premier League title-winner had previously suggested he would ask to leave Nantes if Italy came calling, but now says he will stay in Ligue 1 for another year.

"I'm under contract with Nantes," he told Canal+ after a 2-1 defeat to Monaco. "The media say one day I'm going to Italy, another to Nice.

"I'll be at Nantes next year, because I have a two-year contract with them."

Nantes had looked set to qualify for the Europa League in the early months of Ranieri's tenure, but a run of just one win in nine matches has seen them fall to eighth - although still just two points shy of fifth-placed Rennes ahead of Sunday's matches.

Support Sportstar


Dear Reader,

Support our journalism — where text and pictures intermingle so seamlessly — and help us scale up your experience as the world changes around us. Your contribution is vital to our brand of uninfluenced, boots-on-the-ground reportage that’s worth your while. Clickbait sensationalism is not for us, but editorial independence is — we owe it to you.

Read the Free eBook

  Dugout videos