The India U-19 football team is set to play a four-nation international tournament involving the U-19 teams of France, Croatia and Slovenia. The tourney, organised by the Croatian Football Federation in cooperation with Slovenian Football Federation, will be held in Croatia from September 4 to September 9.
According to a All-India Football Federation communique, the tour has been organised by the country’s governing body to provide the best possible preparation for the U-19 players for the forthcoming I-League season, and for the U-19 AFC Championship qualification next year.
AIFF general secretary Kushal Das said: “It gives me immense satisfaction that our age-group teams are now regularly facing national teams of Asian champions and even world champions.”
National team director Abhishek Yadav said, “It is our aim to give regular opportunities to our teams to compete against top footballing nations of the World across age-groups and gender. It is under this agenda that for the Indian Arrows, we got opportunities to face 2017 FIFA U-20 World Cup runners-up Venezuela and six-time U-20 world champion Argentina (in August 2018). Concurrently, we were working on opportunities to face the squads of Slovenia, Croatia, France and Serbia to take forward Arrows’ pre-season.”
The matches will be held in the cities of Zagreb, Lucko and Velika.
- Dier makes loan move to Bayern Munich permanent
- Ranji Trophy 2024 semifinals Live Score Updates: Mumbai bowls out Tamil Nadu for 146; Vidarbha 170 all out vs Madhya Pradesh
- AIFF women’s committee discusses appointment of new coaches
- CSK training camp ahead of IPL 2024 gets underway
- Indian boxers renew quest for Paris Olympic quotas in Italy