Gareth Bale has pulled out of the Wales squad and returned to Real Madrid to continue his recovery from a groin injury.
The 29-year-old winger sat out last week's friendly defeat to Spain and will now miss Tuesday's key Nations League match against Republic of Ireland.
Ryan Giggs had acknowledged Wales' record goalscorer was unlikely to be risked in Dublin despite describing the issue as "not serious".
Bale originally picked up the groin problem in last month's Madrid derby and limped out of the 1-0 loss to Alaves prior to the international break.
"Gareth Bale has returned to his club this afternoon and will not travel to Dublin with the rest of the squad," the Football Association of Wales wrote on Twitter.
Along with his talismanic attacker, Giggs has also lost Ethan Ampadu and Chris Mepham to injury ahead of the Republic of Ireland fixture.
- Star Czech tennis pair Krejcikova, Siniakova splits after semifinal exit from Billie Jean King Cup: report
- ICC World Cup 2023: Rohit Sharma picks first ODI wicket in more than 11 years
- Chelsea vs Manchester City LIVE Score, CHE 2-3 MCI, Premier League: Thiago Silva and Sterling score goals for Chelsea but Haaland scores double
- ODI World Cup: We have been doing fielding awards for last four months, says coach Dilip
- Stakusic puts Canada on brink of Billie Jean King Cup glory