England interim manager Gareth Southgate backed Luke Shaw and Chris Smalling after Jose Mourinho appeared to criticise the Manchester United duo.
Shaw and Smalling missed United's win over Swansea City on Sunday, leading to Mourinho seemingly questioning their bravery. Neither will feature for England in upcoming matches against Scotland and Spain, but Southgate has no question over their character.
"I don't know Chris well but that wouldn't be my impression, having worked with him," he told UK media. "Luke I know well and Luke's had a really tough injury [broken leg last year]. I think very often it's easy to look from the outside or to make judgements on people without knowing them really, really well."
"If Luke wasn't fit to play yesterday - and he was with us in September under Sam Allardyce and was feeling problems with the leg - there's clearly something. After an injury as severe as that, we've got to handle that with care as well. It's a difficult balance to find but that's where we have to trust our medical teams."
England hosts Scotland in a World Cup qualifier on Friday before a friendly with Spain four days later.
- India vs England Live Score Updates, 4th Test Day 2: IND 131/4 at Tea, trails by 222; Bashir runs through India middle order
- Ranji Trophy Live Score 2024 Quarterfinals Day 2 Updates: Musheer scores double century; TN takes lead vs Saurashtra
- Ranji Trophy 2024 Quarterfinal: Musheer Khan hits maiden double century, puts Mumbai in command against Baroda
- Pakistan to host New Zealand for five-match T20 series ahead of 2024 World Cup
- Inter Miami completes signing of midfielder Federico Redondo