Real Madrid’s star forward and captain Karim Benzema, who is set to leave the club after a 14-year career at the end of the 2022-23 season, scored in the final game for his side, against Athletic Club on Sunday at the Santiago Bernabeu.
Benzema scored from a penalty to make it 1-1, after Madrid defender Eder Militao was fouled inside the box. The French forward, whose Madrid goal tally now stands at 354, was soon subbed off and received a standing ovation from the fans.
He has secured a total of 25 titles with Real, including five UEFA Champion Trophy and four league titles. Benzema was honoured with the prestigious Ballon d’Or award in 2022 after playing a crucial role in Madrid’s success in the La Liga, UEFA Champions League and the Super Cup in the 2021/22 season, scoring 44 goals.
The club has announced that it will host an “institutional act of tribute and farewell” for Benzema next Tuesday at the Real Madrid City, in the presence of president Florentino Perez.
There have been rumours circulating about a lucrative three-year deal for Benzema from Saudi Pro League club Al Ittihad, that will see him earn close to €100 million per year. He allegedly held talks with former teammate Cristian Ronaldo before taking a decision.
- World Cup 2023 winner to get USD 4 million, ICC announces prize money
- IND vs AUS Live Score 1st ODI: Stoinis, Inglis look for late flourish as Australia eyes 280
- Asian Games 2023 LIVE Score, September 22 updates: India vs Singapore in table tennis; women’s team wins 3-2; men lead 2-0a
- India vs Singapore, Table Tennis Live Score Asian Games: Women’s team wins 3-2; Kamal vs Chew underway; Harmeet, Sathiyan post wins
- Asian Games 2023: Sri Lanka, Bangladesh into cricket semis as rain plays a hand