Quique Sanchez Flores will not continue as Getafe coach with the team slumping toward the end of the season, the La Liga club said on Thursday.
The 58-year-old former player was in his third stint with the Madrid-based football club. He had returned to the team in October 2021.
But after ensuring it avoided relegation last season, Getafe has had a difficult season and is currently on the brink of the drop.
His last game in charge was a 2-1 loss at home to Almeria on Wednesday in a direct clash between teams near the bottom.
Getafe did not specify the terms of his departure. In a brief statement, Getafe said the coach and his staff were on longer part of the club. It thanked him for his “commitment and professionalism.”
Sanchez Flores has coached several other clubs, including Atletico Madrid, Valencia, Benfica and Watford.
The club did not mention a replacement.
Getafe plays at relegation-threatened Espanyol on Sunday in a critical match for both teams.
- IND vs AUS Live Score 2nd ODI: Play to resume at 8:35 PM IST in Indore after rain interruption; Australia two down in 400 chase
- Asian Games 2023: Overall medals tally on September 24
- Asian Games 2023: Japan stops India’s giant-killing run journey in Volleyball with a win at Hangzhou 2022
- Asian Games 2023: India women’s football team loses to Thailand, exits tournament
- Asian Games 2023, September 24 highlights: India wins three silvers, two bronze medals; men’s football team into round of 16; Nikhat Zareen reaches pre-quarterfinals