Ernesto Valverde has agreed a new contract as Barcelona coach until the end of next season with the option for a further year, the club has confirmed.
Valverde is in his second campaign at Camp Nou, having joined from Athletic Bilbao, and has enjoyed a strong start to life as Barca's coach – winning La Liga and the Copa del Rey in 2017-18.
Once again the Catalan giant looks well on track for a successful season this time around, sitting six points clear at the top of the table after 23 matches, while it is also in the semifinals of the Copa and the Champions League last 16.
Club president Josep Maria Bartomeu spoke highly of Valverde earlier in the week, insisting he would be in charge of the team next season regardless of whether it wins any silverware. And Barca has made such a commitment official, handing him a new contract which could also see him remain at the helm until 2021.
Valverde's success at Barca has come in spite of criticism of the club's transfer dealings. Players such as Philippe Coutinho, Arturo Vidal and Malcom have struggled to have the desired impact, but still Valverde's team has impressed and got results.
Club talisman Lionel Messi has also continued to thrive, with Valverde giving him a free role which saw him score 34 goals in 36 La Liga games last term, while he has 21 in as many appearances in the league this season.
The former Athletic, Espanyol, Villarreal and Olympiacos coach is due to speak at a news conference later on Friday.
- P.V. Sindhu - bouncing back in style at Badminton Asia Team Championships
- ICC Test rankings: Yashasvi Jaiswal rises to 12th, Dhruv Jurel to 69th
- Organisers keen on cricket in 2026 Asian Games despite venue woes
- Hockey India: Statements by outgoing officials claiming divisions within the organisation are not correct
- Siddarth Kaul: Winning white-ball trophy but missing out in red-ball cricket doesn’t discredit the players’ skills