Barcelona star Neymar believes it is only a matter of time before Lionel Messi signs a new contract with the La Liga champions. Messi, 29, is reportedly close to extending his deal with Barca, with his current contract set to expire in mid-2018.
Neymar hopes the Argentina star will remain at Camp Nou, and expects a deal to be finalised soon despite club president Josep Maria Bartomeu saying recently talks were yet to start. "We hope that Messi will stay in Barcelona with us," he told reporters in Sao Paulo on Thursday. "I expect that he will sign a new deal soon."
Barcelona sits second to rival Real Madrid in LaLiga, with the latter holding a three-point lead and game in hand. Neymar has scored just four league goals in 13 games, but does have a team-leading six assists. He said: "I am very happy with the season I'm having so far, even with few goals. "They will happen naturally. I am very happy with the assists, and I want to help the team in the best way I can."
Barca return to action on January 8 when they visit Villarreal in LaLiga.
- ODI World Cup 2023 warm-up: New Zealand beats South Africa by seven runs via DLS; Bavuma joining team soon
- Andretti Global clears FIA expansion approval, might join F1 as an 11th team on the grid
- Agasara Nandini on Swapna Barman’s transgender allegation: Sad that she did not think before defaming India’s name in a foreign country
- Ronaldinho confirms Kolkata visit in mid-October to unveil Durga Puja pandal with Messi statue
- Asian Games 2023: How four different rubbers helped Sutirtha-Ayhika pair paddle towards a bronze medal