Real Sociedad returned to the top of the Spanish league on Sunday after drawing 1-1 at home with Eibar.
The San Sebastian-based club pulled level with Atletico Madrid on points and moved into first place on total goals scored with the two teams having the same goal difference.
Atletico, which has played two fewer games than Sociedad, had its first loss of the season on Saturday when it fell 2-0 at city rival Real Madrid.
Ander Barrenetxea put Sociedad ahead in the 20th minute with a powerful strike from the edge of the area. The 18-year-old forward pounced on a clearance and lashed the ball off the crossbar and into the net.
Eibar improved in the second half led by the playmaking of Bryan Gil. The midfielder on loan from Sevilla cued the 65th-minute equalizer after dribbling past two defenders on the left and crossing for Takashi Inui, who squared the ball for fellow halftime substitute Sergi Enrich to score.
Later, Barcelona needs to beat Levante to avoid falling even further behind the front-runner, while Villarreal visits Real Betis with the chance to overtake Madrid in third place. Granada is at Elche.
- NZ vs AUS, 1st Test: Lyon masterclass leads Australia to 172-run win against New Zealand
- Ranji Trophy Highlights, Day 2 Semifinal 2024: Shardul hundred puts Mumbai in control; MP 252 all out; Vidarbha loses Taide early
- NZ vs AUS, 2nd Test: Southee hints at shock Wagner return after O’Rourke injury
- Indian Sports News Wrap: March 3
- World Cup was expanded to help Scotland qualify, FIFA’s Infantino jokes