Lionel Messi was welcomed back from his World Cup-winning exploits in Qatar by his club, PSG with a rousing guard of honour on Wednesday.
A beaming Messi also received a memento from the club, after he walked past his teammates and support staff, who greeted the World Cup Golden Ball winner with applause.
“I am happy to be back. I am grateful for the warm welcome from everyone at the club, my partners and the staff. I am happy and I am going to get ready for what’s coming up,” said Messi in a video shared by PSG in social media.
PSG hasn’t had the greatest restart to its league campaign. After securing a scratchy win over Strasbourg, thanks to an injury time winner by Kylian Mbappe, the defending champion fell to second-placed Lens, 3-1.
The Parisians are next up against Chateauroux in the French Cup on January 7, but it seems unlikely that Messi will be a part of it, considering he just got back to training.
In Ligue 1, PSG will next face Angers on January 12.
- NZ vs AUS, 1st Test - Day 2: Australia takes charge in Wellington after Green’s rearguard
- From outcasts to PKL title contenders: Coach Manpreet Singh’s Steelers defy odds to reach the top
- Book review: A valuable anthology of Indian sport and place of women in it
- Chandu Borde: We never played for money
- Everton boss Dyche calls for sanctions to be applied in off-season