Lionel Messi met with Argentine Football Association (AFA) president Claudio Tapia and national team coach Lionel Scaloni as they planned for the future.
Barcelona superstar Messi has not featured for Argentina since its 2018 World Cup last-16 elimination at the hands of eventual champion France.
Its campaign was blighted by reports of unrest between the players and then-coach Jorge Sampaoli, who was dispensed with after the tournament.
Messi has sat out the past three sets of Argentina fixtures, but Tapia suggested a return could be on the horizon for the 31-year-old.
The AFA president shared a picture of himself on Twitter alongside Messi at the Santiago Bernabeu during Sunday's Copa Libertadores final between River Plate and Boca Juniors and confirmed they held talks with Scaloni, who was offered the Argentina job on a full-time basis in November.
"Leaving Madrid after the Libertadores Superfinal and several intense days of work," Tapia wrote.
"Finishing the year and projecting what is coming, we met with Scaloni and Leo Messi."
Argentina will not play a competitive fixture until the 2019 Copa America in Brazil, where it will hope to win a first senior international trophy since 1993.
- U Mumba vs UP Yoddhas LIVE Score, Pro Kabaddi League 2023: Zafardanesh, Guman give consolidate lead for Mumba: UM 19-14 UPY
- Hyderabad FC vs Mohun Bagan SG LIVE score and updates, HFC 0-1 MBSG ISL 2023-24, Hamill scores opening goal for Mohun Bagan
- EURO 2024 draw: All you need to know about European Championship draw, pots, live streaming info
- EURO 2024 Draw live Updates: Final groups for European Championship to be decided, live streaming info
- Gujarat Giants 38-32 Telugu Titans Highlights, Pro Kabaddi League 2023: Sonu shines with super-10 to help Giants beat Titans in season opener