Manchester United made a last-minute addition to its squad on the deadline day with the acquisition of Marcel Sabitzer from Bayern Munich on Tuesday.
The Austrian midfielder will join the Premier League side on a loan deal, with no option to buy according to reports.
Sabitzer would be expected to fill in for Christian Eriksen in United’s midfield, who is ruled out at least until April, following an ankle injury sustained during an FA Cup tie against Reading.
“Sometimes in life you have to make quick and important decisions. From the moment I heard about this opportunity I knew it was right for me. I am a competitive player; I want to win and help the club achieve its aims this season,” said Sabitzer after completing the move.
“I feel that I am at my peak as a player, and that I can contribute a lot of experience and energy to the squad. I am excited to start with my new team-mates and manager and to show my qualities to Manchester United fans,” he added.
John Murtough, Manchester United’s Football Director, said, “Marcel is a player that we have watched for a long time. The opportunity arose quickly, and we knew that he was someone with the ability and character to make an impact. He adds further quality to our squad and experience to the dressing room, and all of us are pleased to be welcoming him to Manchester United.”
Follow all January deadline day stories here:
- ⦿Transfer deadline day: All you need to know about the January 2023 winter window
- ⦿Transfer Market Deadline Day: Players expected to sign on January 31
- ⦿Premier League Transfer news live: Full list of January 2023 signings
- ⦿La Liga winter transfer window: Complete list of ins and outs of players in January 2023
- ⦿January transfer window: Biggest winter signings which flopped at their new clubs
- ⦿Deadline day transfers: Suarez to Bruno, most impactful signings in the January winter window