Roberto Mancini says Mario Balotelli remains in his Italy plans but insists it is up to the Marseille striker to prove his worth.
Balotelli has endured a turbulent campaign, failing to impress under Patrick Vieira at Nice after a reported move to Marseille collapsed prior to the 2018-19 season, before belatedly moving to the Stade Velodrome last month.
The 28-year-old's role with the national team has been similarly uncertain.
Balotelli returned from a lengthy exile for Mancini's first game in charge, scoring in a win against Saudi Arabia, but he has not featured since a Nations League draw with Poland last September.
The forward has played in Marseille's past two matches, though, including scoring from the bench against Lille, and Mancini is open to the player making an international return in the coming months.
"We haven't lost sight of anyone. Mario is part of the group," Mancini told a news conference. "He knows that well and he also knows that it depends on him, not me.
"So far he's played little. [On Sunday] he played only his second game in months. But if he scores consistently between now and the end of March, maybe he could come back."
Mancini has included Sampdoria's 36-year-old forward Fabio Quagliarella, who last month equalled a Serie A record by scoring in 11 consecutive games, in his squad for an upcoming training camp.
Quagliarella has 16 league goals this season - only Cristiano Ronaldo has scored more in Serie A this term - and Mancini admits he could not ignore the veteran's form.
"He deserves to be here, despite his age," Mancini said of Quagliarella. "He is playing well, scoring goals and is one of the top-scorers [in Serie A].
"He has always been a very strong player, but he himself knows well that he may not be the future of the team."
- India vs Nepal LIVE score, Asian Games 2023 cricket quarterfinal updates, IND 111/1(11): Ruturaj falls after 100-run partnership; Streaming info
- Asian Games 2023: Overall medals tally, October 3 - India 4th with 60 medals, 13 golds; focus on Tejaswin Shankar in decathlon, Annu Rani in javelin throw
- Premier League: Mudryk, Broja score as Chelsea beats Fulham 2-0
- India vs Bangladesh Kabaddi HIGHLIGHTS, Asian Games 2023: Raiders shine as IND beats BAN 55-18 in Men’s Group A match to start campaign with win
- Asian Games 2023 LIVE Updates, Hangzhou 2022 October 3 medals tally: Ruturaj Gaikwad departs, Tejaswin Shankar leads in decathlon after 110m hurdles