Coventry City reached the Championship playoff final after a second-half goal by Gustavo Hamer sealed a 1-0 win at Middlesbrough in its semifinal, second leg on Wednesday and a 1-0 aggregate victory.
Coventry will face Luton Town on May 27 for a place in next season’s Premier League.
Coventry, who finished the regular season in fifth place and is looking to return to the Premier League for the first time since it was relegated in 2000-01, held fourth-placed Middlesbrough to a goalless draw in the first leg.
It can become the first team to go from the Premier League down to the fourth tier and back up to the top flight should they join Burnley and Sheffield United who was promoted as Championship winner and runner-up.
Coventry came out of fourth-tier League Two via the playoffs in 2018 after one year and went on to win League One and reach the Championship two years later.
In January, businessman Doug King became the new owner of the club with the team sitting 15th in the table.
- Neeraj Chopra finishes 2nd in Diamond League finals
- Neeraj Chopra Diamond League finals LIVE updates: Chopra finishes second with 83.80m throw; Vadlejch wins crown with 84.24m
- Atlanta United vs Inter Miami Live: Major League Soccer, ATL vs MIA updates, Will Messi play in the MLS game?
- Cristiano Ronaldo scores again as Al Nassr beats Al Raed 3-1 in Saudi Pro League
- Video - Davis Cup Day 1: Nagal saves India blushes; Mukund retires from opening singles match