Napoli forward Dries Mertens will be out for at least three weeks with an ankle injury suffered during Wednesday's 1-0 defeat at Inter Milan, the club said on Thursday.
The 33-year-old Belgium international was forced off in tears during the first half of the Serie A match at San Siro.
Diagnostic tests have shown a first/second degree sprain to the left ankle, read a club statement.
His condition will be re-evaluated in three weeks. Mertens has already started his rehabilitation, which will take place in Belgium over the festive period.
Mertens will sit out at least four Serie A matches against Lazio, Torino, Cagliari and Spezia while he recovers.
The forward, who is Napoli's all-time top scorer, has five goals in 17 appearances in all competitions this season.
Napli is fourth in the Serie A standings, five points behind leader AC Milan after 12 games.
- India Women’s squad for Tests and England T20Is announced
- India vs Australia LIVE Score Updates, 4th T20I: AUS - 135/7 (18); Avesh bowls Dwarshuis out, Green takes the crease; Streaming info
- Al Hilal vs Al Nassr LIVE Updates, Saudi Pro League: Preview, streaming info, score prediction, Al Hilal lineup out
- Chelsea is ‘own worst enemies’: Pochettino
- France coach Didier Deschamps to miss Euro 2024 draw after undergoing surgery