Newcastle United’s Miguel Almiron scored and Kieran Trippier contributed a late goal-line clearance as their side was held to a 1-1 stalemate at struggling Bournemouth on Saturday, a fifth Premier League draw in six games for the Magpies.
The result leaves Newcastle in fourth spot on 41 points, two behind Manchester United in third and two ahead of fifth-placed Tottenham Hotspur, who lost 4-1 at Leicester City. Bournemouth remain second-bottom on 18 points, a point off the safety zone.
Without a win in the Premier League since beating Everton 2-0 on Nov. 12, Bournemouth looked lively and forced the first save of the game from Nick Pope in the 13th minute as striker Dominic Solanke sent a glancing header goalwards.
The home side then took the lead in the 30th minute as Marcos Senesi made the most of a rare Bournemouth corner, ghosting in at the far post to tap the ball in from close range.
Striker Alexander Isak returned for Newcastle after being sidelined with a head injury that kept him out of last Saturday’s 1-1 draw with West Ham United and, though showing some skill, he struggled to impose himself on the game.
The introduction of Anthony Gordon for the injured Joe Willock in the 36th gave Newcastle a shot in the arm and Almiron equalised in first-half stoppage time when he pounced to slot home the rebound after Sean Longstaff’s shot was saved.
Gordon missed a golden opportunity to give his side the lead in the 70th minute, firing another rebound just wide of the near post from close range as Newcastle dominated possession but created very few decent chances.
With the clock ticking towards 90 minutes, Bournemouth mounted one of their more incisive attacks and Trippier had to keep his cool to control a late Solanke backheel on the goal-line and avert the danger.
- Italy promises to take risks against Ukraine with Euro 2024 spot at stake
- India vs Australia, Live Score World Cup 2023 Final: India hunts 3rd WC title; predicted XI, when and where to watch
- IND vs AUS head-to-head in ODI World Cup: India vs Australia WC results and records
- IND vs AUS head-to-head record in ODIs: India vs Australia overall stats, most runs, wickets
- India vs Australia Dream11 Prediction, ICC World Cup 2023 Final: IND vs AUS predicted XI, fantasy team, squads