Al Ahly took a huge step towards progressing into the CAF Champions League final as it saw off ES Setif in the first leg of its semifinal on Tuesday.
First-half goals from Walid Soliman and Islam Mohareb secured the win for 2017's beaten finalist, which has won the competition a record eight times, although the Egyptian champion squandered a glut of chances to put the tie beyond all doubt in the second half.
In the other semifinal, a late strike from substitute Bua saw CD Primeiro de Agosto - which is aiming to become the first Angolan side to reach the CAF Champions League final - edge out ES Tunis 1-0, with the visitor reduced to 10 men in second-half stoppage time when Khalil Chemmam picked up a second booking.
The second legs will take place on October 23.
- Asian Games 2023 Athletics Day 2: Toor, Sable strike gold; Jyothi overcomes false start controversy, veterans stamp their class
- A last-minute injury, a loss to China, India falls just short in men’s team badminton at Asian Games 2023
- Shreyas Iyer origin story: From Shivaji Park Gymkhana to World Cup via a fulfilling dinner
- ISL 2023-24: Luna goal gives Kerala Blasters 1-0 win against Jamshedpur FC
- Fleetwood secures Ryder Cup for Europe after American fightback