Pep Guardiola became the first Premier League manager to be shown a yellow card during the Community Shield match between Manchester City and Liverpool on Sunday.
The City boss was shown the caution for remonstrating with the fourth official after Liverpool defender Joe Gomez fouled David Silva in the first half.
Guardiola was left furious with the challenge as Silva was left writhing in pain on the ground. City had earlier lost winger Leroy Sane to a knee injury.
Referee Martin Atkinson showed a yellow card to the two-time Premier League winning manager for his angry rant on the touchline.
The FA announced that managers across all the leagues could be punished by match officials. Earlier, they could receive only verbal cautions before being sent off to the stands.
The match ended in a 1-1 draw before City won 5-4 on penalties after Claudiio Bravo saved a penalty from Georginio Wijnaldum.
Latest on Sportstar
- French Open 2023: Swiatek to face Gauff in quarterfinals after Tsurenko retires unwell
- French Open 2023: Rune beats Cerundolo in final set tiebreak, sets up quarterfinal rematch with Ruud
- Seven punished by Spanish government for racist insults against Vinicius
- Nacho, Fati called up to Spain squad for Nations League finals
- Asian U20 Athletics Championship: Shivam bags silver in javelin throw; Shakeel wins bronze in 800m