Andrea Pirlo could be set for a shock playing return as Australian club Avondale chases the Italy great for a cup fixture.
Pirlo, 39, retired at the end of last year after a glittering career that included a World Cup title, six Serie A crowns with AC Milan and Juventus and two Champions League trophies.
But the superstar midfielder may be set for a return, with Victorian outfit Avondale looking to secure Pirlo for its FFA Cup quarterfinal against Sydney FC on September 19.
The club confirmed to Omnisport it was "waiting to hear from Pirlo's management".
Even if it lands Pirlo, Avondale will go into its meeting with A-League premier Sydney as a underdog.
Pirlo, who made 116 appearances for Italy, finished his career at New York City, where he spent two and a half seasons.
In 2015, another Victorian club, Heidelberg United, signed Greece great Kostas Katsouranis for its FFA Cup quarterfinal against Melbourne City, but suffered a 5-0 defeat.
- Men’s Volleyball Club World C’ship 2023: All you need to know, preview, schedule, live streaming info
- Bangladesh vs New Zealand LIVE Score updates, 2nd Test Day 1: Latest scorecard, match streaming info
- Glenn Maxwell vows to play IPL until he ‘can’t walk anymore’
- IND-W vs ENG-W Live Streaming Info, 1st T20I: When and where to watch India Women vs England Women T20 series 2023?
- IND-W vs ENG-W Dream11 Prediction, 1st T20I: India Women vs England predicted playing XI, fantasy team, squads