Rodrigo Bentancur has signed a new five-year contract with Juventus, keeping him with the Serie A champion until 2024.
Bentancur enjoyed a breakthrough season in 2017-18 and the 21-year-old continued his development by making 40 appearances across all competitions for Juve last term.
Former Boca Juniors player Bentancur's previous deal had been set to expire in 2022 and he had been linked with Atletico Madrid, Arsenal and Barcelona.
RELATED| Sampdoria appoints Di Francesco as new coach
But Juve have now tied down the midfielder, who is a key player in Uruguay's side at the ongoing Copa America, to a new long-term deal.
Bentancur's position may well be under threat next season, however, with Juve reportedly close to an agreement to sign Adrien Rabiot as a free agent once his contract at Paris Saint-Germain expires.
Should Rabiot arrive he may also be joined by compatriot Paul Pogba, who has been heavily linked with a return to Juve after hinting at a desire to leave Manchester United after three seasons.
Latest on Sportstar
- IND vs AUS LIVE Score, WTC Final Day 1: Rohit’s India Playing XI in focus at Oval; Toss, Weather updates, Dream11 prediction
- WTC Final 2023: Oval pitch report; India, Australia playing record; key stats
- Singapore Open 2023: Satwik-Chirag duo exits after first round loss
- Moeen Ali comes out of Test retirement for Ashes 2023
- India vs Netherlands, FIH Pro League 2022-23, June 7: Preview, head-to-head, live streaming info