India started its SAFF U-15 Women's Championship 2019 campaign with a 4-1 victory over Nepal at the Chalimithang Stadium in Thimphu, Bhutan, on Wednesday.
Striker Lynda Kom Serto scored a brace, while winger Sumati Kumari produced a fierce performance, scoring one and assisting another. Priyanka Sujeesh scored the remaining goal for India, while Man Maya Damai netted the consolation goal for Nepal.
India got off the blocks early on as Sumati Kumari was played through behind the Nepal defence and slotted it past the near post.
Both sides traded blows but the India gathered its composure soon enough and went on to double its lead when Sumati turned provider.
She squared the ball to Lynda, who put it past the keeper - a few minutes prior to the half-time break.
READ | The Sethu revolution
The Indians came out with the same intensity in the second half, and Lynda found the back of the net again as she was set up by Sumati for a second time.
Man Maya Damai pulled one back for Nepal after the hour mark but substitute Sai Sankhae put Priyanka through on goal as the latter added the fourth.
“First games are always difficult, but we passed the ball well and created a lot of chances. We still can play better,” said head coach Alex Ambrose after the match.
He added: “These girls are still in the learning phase, so yes, this is the time to learn from their mistakes. They will keep getting better with every game.”
India is slated to play Bhutan in its second match of the tournament on Friday, which will kick off at 5:30 PM IST and will be streamed live on MyCujoo TV .
- Manchester United vs Chelsea: Top five Premier League clashes
- ISL 2023-24: Mohun Bagan Super Giant looks to avenge AFC Cup loss against Odisha FC
- Mohun Bagan Super Giant vs Odisha FC LIVE streaming info, ISL 2023-24: When, where to watch; Preview
- WATCH: Bangladesh’s Mushfiqur Rahim out handling the ball in second Test against New Zealand
- Bangladesh vs New Zealand LIVE Score updates, 2nd Test Day 1: Latest scorecard, match streaming info