Sandro Tonali scored a goal and set up another to guide AC Milan to a 2-1 victory at Salernitana on Wednesday as Serie A returned after a seven-week break for the World Cup and the festive season.
Rafael Leao and Tonali struck in the first half as second-placed Milan moved to 36 points, five behind league leader Napoli which plays away to Inter Milan later.
Forward Leao gave Milan a 1-0 lead in the 10th minute when he picked up a clever pass from midfielder Tonali and went around goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa for a brilliant finish.
Striker Olivier Giroud then sent his header wide but it did not prove to be a huge miss for the visitors as Tonali doubled its lead within five minutes with a long-range strike into the bottom corner after his first attempt was blocked.
Brahim Diaz, who twice came close in the first half, finally found the net around the hour-mark following a set piece but the goal was disallowed because he was offside. Milan could have added more goals but it missed chances, including from Giroud.
Salernitana substitute Federico Bonazzoli got a consolation goal for the hosts in the 83rd minute after he connected with a cross at the back post and beat goalkeeper Ciprian Tatarusanu.
- India vs England Live Score Updates, 4th Test Day 3: ENG 133/8, leads by 179 runs; Kuldeep takes two in one over
- Ranji Trophy Live Score 2024 Quarterfinals Day 3 Updates: Saurashtra loses three vs TN; Solanki smashes century vs Mumbai
- Yathiraj, Pramod and Krishna win gold medals at Para Badminton World Championships
- Fighting knock from fighter’s son: Dhruv Jurel walks in footsteps of father, a Kargil War veteran
- Gopi Thonakal wins elite men’s race in New Delhi Marathon