Modric has helped Madrid to win four Champions League titles in the past five years, but reports have suggested he could follow Cristiano Ronaldo to Italy.
Madrid president Florentino Perez has said that Modric will not be allowed to leave the Santiago Bernabeu unless his €750million release clause is met.
But, Spalletti suggested Inter is working on a deal for the 32-year-old, who won the Golden Ball after inspiring Croatia to the World Cup final.
"The club has shown they work in a coherent and serious fashion. They are trying to put everything in place that we consider to be right," Spalletti told reporters.
"It's certain a player of that calibre would be important for anyone, let alone for us. I continue to dream along with the fans, but we have everything needed to handle anything that happens."
Spalletti was speaking after Inter ended a run of four pre-season games without a win by downing Lyon in Lecce on Saturday.
Lautaro Martinez scored the only goal in the International Champions Cup clash and the Inter coach hinted at how the striker could fit into the team alongside fellow new signing Radja Nainggolan and captain Mauro Icardi.
"He can play all the midfield roles with great quality and great strength," Spalletti said of Nainggolan, who did not face Lyon.
"You can see in a few games that Icardi is up front with Lautaro as a number 10 and Radja in the middle. There will be lots of matches and there will be room for everyone."
- Asian Games 2023: Sarabjot, Divya win silver in 10m air pistol mixed team event
- Pavilion End at Trent Bridge to be renamed after England’s Stuart Broad
- Asian Games 2023: Overall medals tally, September 30 - LIVE - Sarabjot, Divya win silver in 10m air pistol mixed team; IND stands 4th with 34 medals
- Asian Games 2023, September 30, Live Updates from Hangzhou 2022: Sarabjot, Divya win silver in 10m Mixed Team; Sreeshankar, Aldrin, Yarraji among athletes to qualify for final
- East Bengal vs Hyderabad FC LIVE streaming info, ISL 2023-24: When, where to watch; Preview