Paul Tierney would be the referee for the game at Wembley Stadium, the FA said last month. He will serve as the squad captain for the officials overseeing the FA Cup final.
Fourth official Peter Bankes, reserve assistant referee Adrian Holmes, and assistant referees Neil Davies and Scott Ledger will work alongside Tierney on Saturday afternoon.
Tierney played a crucial role just after the half-hour mark when Manchester City midfielder Jack Grealish conceded a penalty. Aaron Wan-Bissaka’s cross saw Grealish get a hand on it and the referee, after a VAR check followed by a look on the monitor, pointed to the spot.
Bruno Fernandes converted the penalty to equalise as the two sides of Manchester entered the break, level at 1-1. However, Pep Guardiola’s side took lead, six minutes into restart with Ilkay Gundogan’s scoring his second goal of the day.
More to follow.
- Rohit bhai has always been my inspiration: Varma
- Arsenal will focus on one trophy at a time after winning Community Shield, Arteta says
- FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023: Keira Walsh starts for England in knockout game against Nigeria
- Asian Champions Trophy 2023: India’s penalty corner conversion rate will improve, says coach Fulton
- IND vs WI: India’s top-order under pressure in must-win third T20I