The 2023 FIH Men’s Hockey World Cup is set to be held in India from January 13 to 29.
Odisha’s Bhubaneswar and Rourkela will be the two cities where the showpiece event will be played with 16 teams divided into four groups of four each. Host nation India has been grouped along with England, Spain and Wales in Pool D and begins its campaign against the Spanish side in Rourkela.
RELATED HOCKEY WORLD CUP COVERAGE
- ⦿Who are the top goal scorers at every men’s WC since 1971
- ⦿Complete list of men’s WC winners from 1971 to 2018
- ⦿Full fixtures list, knockouts, dates, time and venues in Bhubaneswar and Rourkela
While all teams will have their eyes on the big prize, the World Cup trophy, there are some individual awards up for grabs at the end of the competition.
In addition to the ‘Player of the Match’ award which will be given at the end of each game, there are eleven more awards which will be given after the final at the Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneswar on January 29.
Here’s a list of the post-competition awards for the 2023 FIH Men’s Hockey World Cup:
- ⦿ Best Player (Previous winner - Belgium’s Arthur Van Doren)
- ⦿ Best Goalkeeper (Previous winner - Pirmin Blaak of the Netherlands)
- ⦿ Best Junior Player (Previous winner - Thijs van Dam of the Netherlands)
- ⦿ Hero Top Scorer (Previous winners - Australia’s Blake Govers and Belgium’s Alexander Hendrickx)
- ⦿ Best Team Goal Celebration Award
- ⦿ Fan’s Choice Award
- ⦿ Fair Play Award (Previous winner - Spain)
- ⦿ Maximum Team Goals Award (Previous winner - Australia with 29 goals)
- ⦿ Best Forward of the Tournament Award
- ⦿ Best Midfielder of the Tournament Award
- ⦿ Best Defender of the Tournament Award
According to official rulebook, “The Best Player, Best Goalkeeper and Best Junior Player awards will be voted for by the team coaches, TV commentators and media attending the event. “