Maninder Singh's outstanding raids aided Bengal Warriors to make a stunning come from behind 41-38 win over Patna Pirates in a Zone B match of the Pro Kabaddi League at the Netaji Indoor Stadium here on Friday.
Bengal's fifth win helped it leapfrog UP Yoddha to take the top spot with 32 points from nine matches.
After its second defeat, Patna slipped to third with 27 points.
Patna benefited from its captain Pardeep Narwal's fine raids to gain a 7-2 lead by the sixth minute.
Bengal rode on Bhupender Singh and Vinod Kumar's successful raids and its defenders' good work to make a fantastic turnaround and secure a 10-7 lead with eight minutes left in the first period.
Bengal lost its hard-earned advantage quickly when Maninder was snared by the alert Patna defenders.
A robust and sharp Monu Goyat shone with his all-round skills to gather four valuable points, including a spectacular tackle on Vinod, to boost Patna, which effected an all-out on Bengal with about two minutes to spare and went into the breather with an 18-14 lead.
Narwal continued to dominate in the second half, collecting 11 raid points, and his team mates complemented with solid tackles to make Bengal all out again in the 34th minute.
Nevertheless, Bengal bounced back because of Maninder's incisive raids and the defenders' wholehearted effort, making Patna all out once. The host regained the lead with two minutes to go and managed to snatch a win.
Bengal Warriors 41 (Maninder Singh 13, Jan Kun Lee 6, Vinod Kumar 5) beat Patna Pirates 38 (Pardeep Narwal 11, Monu Goyat 5).
Latest on Sportstar
- WTC Final LIVE Score, IND vs AUS Day 1: Rohit’s India Playing XI in focus vs Australia; Toss, Weather updates, Dream11 prediction
- Who is Scott Boland? The Australian pacer with record Test average
- Moeen Ali comes out of Test retirement for Ashes 2023
- WTC Final 2023: Oval pitch report; India, Australia playing record; key stats
- Singapore Open 2023: Satwik-Chirag duo exits after first round loss