Skipper Kane Williamson has been quarantined from his team-mates after going down with a virus which ruled him out of the second Test against India, New Zealand Cricket said on Friday.
In a blow to the tourist's hopes of levelling the series, Williamson was omitted from the Black Caps team after he also missed training on Thursday.
Williamson has a viral illness and is also suffering from fever and dehydration, according to New Zealand's Fairfax media.
New Zealand Cricket told AFP it was "standard practice" to separate somebody who was sick from his team-mates.
Williamson not only provides leadership for New Zealand but he is also their most consistent batsman, scoring 75 in a 124-run second-wicket partnership with Tom Latham in the first Test in Kanpur.
New Zealand need a win at Eden Gardens to square the three-match series at 1-1 after losing the Kanpur Test by 197 runs.
Team news: Kane Williamson has been ruled out of the BLACKCAPS 2nd Test in Kolkata with illness. Ross Taylor will captain side >#indvnz ^CE— BLACKCAPS (@BLACKCAPS) >September 30, 2016
- WPL 2024 MI vs DC Live Score: Capsey, Jemimah fall in quick succession
- PVL 2024: Aponza’s efforts go in vain as Calicut Heroes beat Delhi Toofans in straight sets
- IOC says there will be no compromise if Milan-Cortina Olympics bobsled track is not ready by March 2025
- Pune Challenger 2024: Niki Poonacha loses to Dane Sweeny in a thriller, Mukund Sasikumar gives walkover
- Indian sports wrap, February 23