Mumbai City FC’s attacking midfielders — Moudou Sougou from Senegal and Arnold Issoko of Congo — fashioned a 2-0 victory, its second in five games, over the hard-running Delhi Dynamos in the Indian Super League at the Mumbai Football Arena.
Sougou swept home in classic goal-poacher’s fashion, while Issoko finished off a move with a flourish and celebrated with a double somersault.
Sougou took Dynamos by surprise when he tapped home after Issoko, on the right, set him up. Raphael Bastos had sparked off the move when his long ball switched the point of attack.
The goal, scored against the run of play, boosted Mumbai’s confidence and the defence — with Joyner Lourenco, a new face in the backline — especially looked far more assured on the ball. Sougou and Issoko, meanwhile, got space for dangerous runs into the goalmouth.
Four minutes into the second half, Issoko earned a penalty. He ran onto a forward pass, weaved away from Rana Gharami, the Delhi defender hacked at the striker’s leg in a reflex action and got a yellow card.
Francisco under the bar dived to his right, but the placement by Bastos flew wide at the other side.
The visitor upped the pace in search of the equaliser, but apart from a firm angled drive by Lallianzuala Chhangte — dealt easily by custodian Ravi Kumar — had nothing else of note.
The host's second came when Bastos won the ball in the midfield and released Issoko with a weighted pass. Dynamos’s defence, playing a high line, was taken by surprise. Issoko skipped away from the onrushing Francisco’s challenge before tapping into an empty net.
The result: Mumbai City 2 (Moudou Sougou 30, Arnold Issoko 77) bt Delhi Dynamos 0.
- Bahrain Grand Prix: F1 champion Verstappen of Red Bull on pole for season-opener
- Ranji Trophy semifinal: Chandrakant Pandit eyes victory against former side as Vidarbha, Madhya Pradesh face off
- German Open 2024: Jolly-Gayatri bow out of quarterfinals, lose to Chinese pair of Jing-Min
- Mohun Bagan vs Jamshedpur FC highlights, MBSG 3-0 JFC, ISL 2023-24: Sadiku, Cummings, Petratos goals guide Mariners to comfortable win
- ISL 2023-24: Mohun Bagan Super Giant cruises to win against Jamshedpur FC