NorthEast United FC revealed that it had filed a complaint with the All India Football Federation (AIFF) “citing the incident that left (Federico) Gallego with a serious injury.” In a statement issued by the Guwahati-based club it said that the complaint was prompted by the happenings on pitch during the second leg of its semifinal against Bengaluru FC in Bengaluru on March 11.
The ISL franchise sought to dispel "misinformation circulating in the media" by releasing the statement on the "nature of the game".
RELATED | Bengaluru FC thumps NorthEast United, storms to second successive final
Without going into specific details, NorthEast mentioned “the incident that left Gallego with a serious injury… and 19 other episodes of a similar playing style.” Insisting on a particular pattern of behaviour that led to the harm on Gallego, the statement said, “we experienced first-hand how that (playing style) resulted (in injury) to our midfielder.”
The statement added that the complaint is made with the “hope to protect other players who could be injured in the future”.
The statement added that Gallego from the hospital in Bengaluru and is currently undergoing treatment in Dubai. “He is expected to make a full recovery and we are looking forward to welcoming him back on the field.”
Latest on Sportstar
- NBA Finals: 3 takeaways from Game 2 as Miami Heat levels series
- French Open 2023: Swiatek to face Gauff in quarterfinals after Tsurenko retires unwell
- French Open 2023: Rune beats Cerundolo in final set tiebreak, sets up quarterfinal rematch with Ruud
- Seven punished by Spanish government for racist insults against Vinicius
- Nacho, Fati called up to Spain squad for Nations League finals