Coronavirus: Canadian Grand Prix postponed, F1 shutdown continues

Montreal was earmarked as a possible opening race for an altered calendar this year but organisers have now confirmed the COVID-19 shutdown will continue.

Sebastian Vettel at the 2019 Canadian Grand Prix   -  Dan Istitene/Getty Images

The Canadian Grand Prix has become the ninth race of the Formula One 2020 season to be called off due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Organisers confirmed in a statement on Tuesday that they were "saddened" to make the decision, with the date in Montreal having been earmarked as a possible opening race for an altered calendar this year.

The race at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve had been due to take place on June 14.

READ: Coronavirus: F1 season should be called off, says Ecclestone

The announcement came as the FIA confirmed the sport's shutdown period would be extended by a further two weeks.

"This postponement was not a decision that was taken lightly or easily," race organisers said. "Over the past month, we have been in constant communication with Formula 1 and representatives from the city of Montreal, Tourism Montreal and both provincial and federal governments.

"We have heard the directives issued by public health officials and as a direct result of the COVID-19 pandemic are following the expert guidance provided by the authorities.

"Our thoughts and most sincere thanks go to the men and women working tirelessly to keep us healthy, safe and fed during these uncertain times."

 

Francois Dumontier, president and CEO of the Canadian Grand Prix, added: "I am proud to see how such wonderful initiatives and technical advancements stemming from Formula One are being applied in a time of crisis. At the moment it is crucial that all of our energies be put together to overcome COVID-19.

"We will welcome you with open arms to Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve as soon as it is safe to do so."

Chase Carey, Chairman and CEO of Formula One, said: "We have been working closely with our friends at the Canadian Grand Prix over the past few weeks and support them in taking this necessary decision to ensure the safety of fans and the F1 community.

"We always look forward to travelling to the incredible city of Montreal and while we will all have to wait a bit longer, we will put on a great show when we arrive later this year."

Fans have been told pre-purchased tickets will remain valid while an alternative date for the race is considered.

The French Grand Prix, scheduled for June 26, is now the next race on the 2020 calendar that has not yet been rescheduled.

Support Sportstar


Dear Reader,

Support our journalism — where text and pictures intermingle so seamlessly — and help us scale up your experience as the world changes around us. Your contribution is vital to our brand of uninfluenced, boots-on-the-ground reportage that’s worth your while. Clickbait sensationalism is not for us, but editorial independence is — we owe it to you.

  Dugout videos