Marc Marquez shaded MotoGP world champion and fellow Spaniard Jorge Lorenzo in qualifying Saturday to secure pole position in this weekend's Grand Prix of Catalonia. Honda star Marquez goes into Sunday's MotoGP in Barcelona 10 points behind his Yamaha rival but topped the times in final qualifying for the third time this season by 487 hundredths of a second.
Joining this pair on the front row will be Marquez' teammate Dani Pedrosa.
This was Marquez's 61st career pole and 33rd in the top division and it came 48 hours after he extended his contract with Repsol Honda for two years. Marquez, 23, world champion in 125cc (2010) and Moto2 (2012) won the MotoGP title in his first season in 2013 and defended it the following year.
He finished third last season after suffering an injury lay off.
Grid for Sunday's MotoGP Grand Prix of Catalonia after final qualifying at Barcelona's Montmelo circuit on Saturday:
1. Marc Marquez (ESP/Honda) 1:43.589
2. Jorge Lorenzo (ESP/Yamaha) at 0.467
3. Dani Pedrosa (ESP/Honda) 0.718
4. Hector Barbera (ESP/Ducati Avintia) 0.733
5. Valentino Rossi (ITA/Yamaha) 0.735
6. Maverick Vinales (ESP/Suzuki) 0.740
7. Cal Crutchlow (GBR/Honda LCR) 0.777
8. Andrea Iannone (ITA/Ducati) 0.869
9. Danilo Petrucci (ITA/Ducati Pramac) 1.322
10. Andrea Dovizioso (ITA/Ducati) 1.440
11. Scott Redding (GBR/Ducati Pramac) 1.441
12. Pol Espargaro (ESP/Yamaha Tech3) 1.629
13. Aleix Espargaro (ESP/Suzuki)
14. Bradley Smith (GBR/Yamaha Tech3)
15. Michele Pirro (ITA/Ducati Avintia)
16. Yonny Hernandez (COL/Ducati Aspar)
17. Eugene Laverty (IRL/Ducati Aspar)
18. Stefan Bradl (GER/Aprilia)
19. Jack Miller (AUS/Honda Marc VDS)
20. Tito Rabat (ESP/Honda Marc VDS)
21. Alvaro Bautista (ESP/Aprilia)
Latest on Sportstar
- Roland Garros 2023: Svitolina returns to French Open quarterfinals by downing Kasatkina
- Monfils and Svitolina - a support system for each other on and off the court
- It’s better to stay a bit underdone than overdone: Cummins on lack of game time ahead of WTC final
- In England, you never feel in but you will have an intuition when to attack: Rohit Sharma
- NBA Finals: Heat’s Cody Zeller upgraded to probable for Game 2