Karnataka’s Naveen John defended his title in the men’s 38km individual time trial in the road cycling competition of the National Games in Gandhinagar on Saturday.
Naveen, who did not travel to Delhi for the 4000m individual pursuit event to focus on the road races, overcame some challenges during the race to clock 49:01.635.
“My racing suit, which has been with me through victories in seven National championships, gave up. A safety pin came in handy, but I was not in the race mindset through the first loop of 19km.
“I could see the worried look on Karnataka coach Anita’s face and reminded myself why I was here and cranked up my pace on the second loop to succeed in my mission of defending the time trial gold,” said Naveen, enjoying the nice weather preceded by a wet evening.
Tongbram Monorama Devi, who was part of the Indian team in the 2018 Commonwealth Games, defeated Chayanika Gogoi to win the Women 85km Road Race.
The results: (Road events):
- IPL auction: Five World Cup stars who could get an Indian Premier League contract on December 19
- Vijay Hazare Trophy 2023-24: Maharashtra aims to secure spot in knockouts after last season final loss
- Vijay Hazare Trophy 2023-24: Full schedule, teams, squads, date, venues
- Indian team leaves for FIH Women’s Junior World Cup 2023
- NBA In-Season roundup: Cavs recovers, tops 76ers in OT